Tuesday, June 28, 2005

RE: google earth

And there I go forgetting the reason I was blogging in the first place.

 

I was born and spent a good number of years in a town called Durban in South Africa. Durban is in the province Natal.

 

Anyway, I’ve picked this up on a number of roads, cities, provinces, countries etc.

 

Google (or digitalglobe which is the company behind the images) have got a number of names wrong.

 

Natal is called Natalbaai (perhaps the company is based in Amsterdam or somewhere like that as that sounds dutch / Afrikaans).

 

When I was looking at Cape Town, Lions Head (one of the famous mountains – actually I live very close) is called Lions Rump and Leeukop – that is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lions Rump instead of Lions Head!!!!!!

 

And there are a couple of names that I don’t recognize – Boat Bay??? (perhaps I haven’t explored cape town enough, but I’ve never heard of those names in cape town itself)

 

Still a brilliant program though!!!!

 

Ahhhh – just saw another one “driankerbaai” and realized they are translating in Afrikaans or dutch, as there is 3 anchor bay in that area – just never heard it translated literally before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home